Lancing College Chapel« Back
Lancing College Chapel, designed initially by R.C.Carpenter was built in a local Sussex Sandstone from Scaynes Hill from 1868 onwards. Vulnerable on an exposed site in an acute marine environment, repairs have been ongoing over the last 25 years at least, recent contracts having included the repair and conservation of the apse in 2002, the clerestories in 2007/8 and the aisle windows, presently in progress. Although undergoing constant repair, the chapel is still incomplete, a new south door having been inserted in 2000 and the crypt paved around a new altar in 2010. Approval has recently been obtained for the west porch, designed by Alan Rome which will finally complete the building.