Built circa 1331 at the time the close was walled, St Ann’s Gate is one of four medieval gates to the Cathedral Close.
It has a main room above the gate itself; formally a Chapel but rumoured to have been used for concerts as part of Malmesbury House in 18th Century. Handel is thought to have performed his first English concert there as a friend of James Harris III who owned Malmesbury House at the time. There is also a newel stair turret, and two further rooms over different levels.
The gate is a low 2 centred ?? stone arch with continuous chamfers. Featuring large 2 light lancet windows with curvilinear tracery, and leaded glazing on both east and west sides. There is a projecting red brick gabled porch which stands to mark the entrance inside the close to the left hand side.
Today, the rooms above and adjacent to the gate is home to St. Ann’s Gate Architects; a medium architectural practice that specialises in conservation of historic buildings.